Home Insurance UK

The main perils covered are; (it is worth remembering that all building insurance policies will be subject to terms & conditions & exclusions, always read the policy document carefully and if you are unsure about anything, ask.

Fire, Lightning, Explosion, Earthquake, Riot, Civil Commotion, Strikes or Labour disturbances or malicious damage or vandalism. Impact by any aircraft, aerial device, road vehicle train or animal. Storm, Tempest & Flood. Falling Trees or Parts of Trees. Subsidence, Landslip or Heave (this policy section tens to exclude the bedding down of structures of nearly made up ground or coastal erosion. Damage to or resulting from the movement of solid floor slabs unless the foundations underneath the external walls also move at the same time. There are other exclusions under this section and it is best to check each policy wording. Insurers are very particular with the cover under this sections as any losses can be substantial. Theft or attempted Theft. Restrictions in cover may be experienced if the property is left unoccupied for a period in excess of 30 days. Escape of water from or bursting of any water or oil from any fixed domestic water heater or heating installation or washing machine.

Accidental Damage to water, oil, gas, sewerage or drain pipes, underground telephone, electricity or television cables serving the building.

Glass & Sanitary Fittings, Cover for fixed glass in doors or windows, roofs and double glazing units.

Alternative Accommodation. If following an insured peril, temporary accommodation has to be found, you will normally be covered for up to 20 % of the sum insured over a 12 month period.

Reasonable Architects & Surveyors fees necessary incurred in the reinstatement of the building following loss of damage. Insurance for the removal of debris, site clearance and shoring up of the building is also included.

Your building insurance will also included Property owners Liability cover a sum insured of 1,000,000 is fairly common. This section of your building insurance policy will indemnify you for legal liability as owner of the building to members of the public and employees. Cover is usually in respect of bodily injury or disease to a person or damage to their property.

|Wider insurance for a building can be obtained and it is usually referred to as Accidental Damage cover. This is now usually an extra section of the policy wording and extends the policy wording to provide insurance for the building against accidents. Some examples of an Accident to a building would be drilling through a water pipe in the bathroom whilst affixing a cabinet to the wall or putting your foot through the ceiling.